This little house was very sad when we purchased it in August 2017. After a lot of hard work, sweat equity, a few meltdowns, and a great outpouring of love into the labor, we’ve restored its integrity. Here are a few “before and after” photos of our journey to bring this lovely little cottage house back to life. Built in 1945, it was originally the parsonage for the Warm Springs Baptist Church. It was sold in the early 1970s and has since housed a number of different commercial businesses.
We would love to have copies of photos of what it looked like between 1945 and the 1970s. If you know anyone who lived here or visited here and is willing to share photos, please ask them to contact us!
Above: Our inspector did the best he could in a house full of stuff, but even he couldn’t find all the outlets and floor vents! We made a number of interesting discoveries after the house was completely cleared, including one electrical outlet with newspaper stuffed behind it for insulation.
The first things we did were to tear out the rotted ceiling tiles, the rotten cabinets and fixtures in the bathroom and kitchen, pull dozens of nails out of the walls and window/door casings, and paint over the entire interior as well as the ceilings that were salvageable.
That roofing glue is the reason we couldn’t save the original hardwood we discovered in the kitchen. Many years ago, someone glued plywood and then two layers of linoleum on top of that beautiful oak. Even a drum sander and countless chemicals couldn’t remove that old glue, so we had to cover it up with vinyl strips. It looks nice now, but we were so very disappointed that we could not save that floor.
Candlelight 2018 was beautiful!